Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Reuniting with Family and Friends





If I could summarize Christmas this year in one word, it would be "reunion." We were so blessed to visit with so many people we love so dear.

Our journey began on the night of the 16th when we joined friends from college downtown for a NHL game. It was a blast.

The next morning set out to travel to our home state. Our first destination was to Canton where we united with my mom's side of family. The beauty of it was that all 5 siblings and most of their children and grandchildren were in attendance. Maddie, Michael and lily were able to visit with great-grandparents and play with cousins (2nd, 3rd, I am not sure how that all works). I was excited to spend time with my dear cousin, kindred-spirit and sister in Christ, Cherry. It is great to go back to the places of our childhood.

Matt grew up in a town nearby, so we took advantage of the opportunity and drove over to Wellsboro. As we drove down the streets of this picturesque town, he was taking a trip down memory lane. We stopped by his brother's grave and shared with our children the testimony of Michael's life. We drove past his old house and then went downtown for a early dinner. What a wonderful gift it was to share in Matt's reflections on where he has come.

On we drove to my home town. Our family split time between my sister's house and my parent's. They live about 1.5 miles from each other. The days were filled with shopping, cooking, wrapping, baking, and preparing for a Christmas day reunion with my dad's family. It was good to see everyone again and to share our children with them. It was hard to say good bye to my parents. On our way out of town we drove out to the mountainous countryside of my childhood memories. A strange thing to see the places of our childhood, two worlds collide. The hills and farmland felt so safe and familiar. We drove past the hilltop house (a high school classmate owns it now) and I shed a tear or two in thanksgiving for such peaceful upbringing. Maddie noticed my emotion and said, "when I have children I will bring them to the house grew up." I quietly thought about how difficult that would be with so many wonderful places making up "home."

Next, we headed for a retreat at White Sulphur Springs. Talk about another place we consider "home." As soon as I saw the hotel and reflected on the wonderful milestones that have occurred there I knew that this place would be the "house" that Maddie would want to bring her children to. Now matter where the AF has taken us, WSS has been a consistent place for holidays and vacations. The children love it there. The blessing was the friends that would share the 4 days with us. We visited with the Dittmar's, the Hornback's, the Batluck's, the Thomases, the St. Cyr's, the Jerome's and others. The kids delighted in seeing their friends and Maddie was able to see Charlotte again. They had met two years ago at WSS and never forgot each other.

I can't put into words the emotions of the entire two weeks. The biggest blessing was being surrounded by the love of friends and family. Many times the joy that flooded my heart at being the presence of those we love caused me to thankfully praise God for such reunions. Imagine how wonderous the day when we will be seated at His banquet table.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the faithful checker that I am of your site, I must have just "missed" you! Your travels down memory lane sounds so great. I too, remember just growing up feeling "safe" and I pray that my children will feel that way too in this crazy military lifestyle. Maybe that is why home schooling is so appealing? I'm so glad that you caught up with the Dittmar's and the Hornbacks! How fun. WSS sounds wonderful.Happy New Year!

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, it was so nice to see you all again! Jess and I were so glad we could meet up with you all. We have some fun pictures we'll send your way soon.

Chatting with you reminded me how much I'm going to enjoy having you around again soon. Thank you for being a Godly friend who is seeking after Him.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Bob and Claire said...

Oh, what a wonderful Christmas break! I feel the same way about WSS, and I pray my kids will too--although I think they already do! I always feel at home there. We wished we could be up there with you all too. We talked a lot about trying to get up there, but in the end, it just didn't work out. It would have been great to see everyone, but esp. the Jeromes again. We haven't seen them in quite awhile. Some other time . . .

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

pregnancy week by week