Celebrating Our Savior's Birth
I was able to get out in clear 60 degree weather and put up exterior Christmas decorations. I was struck with the realization that with such a diverse neighborhood our family may be one of a few that have true reason to decorate for the holiday. I got to thinking about the reason for the season. Then it occurred to me as if for the first time, why do non-believers put up Christmas decorations? What are they celebrating? I suddenly became indignant that I needed to represent that my family celebrated the birth of the Savior. I wanted to reclaim the holiday from what it represents to most Americans. But... in its truest form, through the Love of Christ. So... I thought of hosting an open-house for my neighborhood. We have wonderful neighbors, but unfortunate for myself, I know only half of them (we only have 7 houses on this street).
Well, I brought the idea before my husband who was in full support. I happened to be outside watching the kids play on the street when our neighbors and their daughter came out to join us. Before I knew it, I was inviting them to un open house on the 10th of December and said that I would drop off an invitation. Well, if that is not committing yourself. I then proceeded to fill out invitations and marched up to doors handing them out to the surrounding residents. All seemed receptive to the idea and a few genuinely excited.
I am now in full prayer and planning phase. I so desire to make my neighbors feel welcomed and to have this event open doors to other opportunities to share lives. I don't want to be so focused on the details of menu and house prep that I forget the most important part of hosting, making guests feel "at home" and loved. "Love thy Neighbor." This commitment will be a challenge with all that is going on, but for me just following through with what I set out to do is a great accomplishment. In fact the invitations I used were purchased three years ago when a lofty idea to host a Christmas open house never materialized. Hey Parktowne friends... maybe next year.
So... May I request advice from my dear friends (Leah, Christa, Wendy, Leanne just to name a few) who have stepped out and done events just like these.
Well, I brought the idea before my husband who was in full support. I happened to be outside watching the kids play on the street when our neighbors and their daughter came out to join us. Before I knew it, I was inviting them to un open house on the 10th of December and said that I would drop off an invitation. Well, if that is not committing yourself. I then proceeded to fill out invitations and marched up to doors handing them out to the surrounding residents. All seemed receptive to the idea and a few genuinely excited.
I am now in full prayer and planning phase. I so desire to make my neighbors feel welcomed and to have this event open doors to other opportunities to share lives. I don't want to be so focused on the details of menu and house prep that I forget the most important part of hosting, making guests feel "at home" and loved. "Love thy Neighbor." This commitment will be a challenge with all that is going on, but for me just following through with what I set out to do is a great accomplishment. In fact the invitations I used were purchased three years ago when a lofty idea to host a Christmas open house never materialized. Hey Parktowne friends... maybe next year.
So... May I request advice from my dear friends (Leah, Christa, Wendy, Leanne just to name a few) who have stepped out and done events just like these.

3 Comments:
What a great idea! I also have thought about having one of these, but have never done so. So I have no great advice, but I will certainly be upholding you and your time together in prayer!!
You gave me a great idea. We have been trying to figure out a way to reach out to neighbors, we live a diverse area and we don't get to interact a lot, because of work etc. So, I came up with my invite today and Pete is going to hand deliver them to our cul-de-sac~ So I will keep your in my prayers and please do the same with us!
Kim. You are so amazing! I love your idea of a Christmas Open-house! I think that you nailed it, though, keep focused on really opening your house and try hard not to get wrapped up in meal planning and cleaning. Keep it simple! Apple cider, a ton of cookies, holiday music in the background. Maybe a little gift for all seven houses? That's above and beyond, but it might be kind of fun too. What about an easy craft for kids? See..there I go, I start to get complex. Don't ask me! You guys are just great to think of it and host it. Everyone will be thrilled to meet everyone! I can't wait to hear about it!
Post a Comment
<< Home