January Happenings
January.
I remember as a kid not really liking January. It fell after the Christmas excitement with little excitement of its own(with the exception of my mother's birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! MOM) It was always cold and a reminder that winter had so far to go before it would be over. It was the month to jump back into school.
It is funny to me that I carried the mindset of a child into my adulthood. We had such a relaxing and recharging break and I dreaded going back to the pace of life. I spent the first week back just reorganizing, cleaning, taking down the Christmas decorations and finding homes for the new gifts. I felt suffocated by all the "stuff." I got my feet under me and started home school in the second week of the month. Maddie was glad for the structure but it was a shaky start. We reviewed a lot of the material we went over just before Christmas. We have been going about life trying to restore the schedule of last term and getting into a groove.
Just today I was reflecting on January 1, 1997. It was the first day of the year but more importantly the first day of my new life in Christ. That January I headed back to college a new person, with a new hope and a new perspective on things. Armed with my new bible, I began to read the book of John and get to know the Savior. I write to remind myself that January is a month of new starts. So Lord, my prayer, "Restore unto me the joy of your salvation and grant in me a willing spirit to sustain me," Psalm 51:12 NIV. And even though so much has changed in the last 10 years "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" Hebrews 13:8 NIV.
I don't have to just face January.
I do have to get back to parenting though. Lily is on the floor taking it upon herself to get out of her PJ's and is having a frustrating time at it. Oh there, she succeeded and has handed me her PJs and has proceeded to walk over and get herself a fresh diaper and has just handed it to me. I am glad someone is in charge here.
So, I guess this post is nothing more than one to say that we are doing fine, and that I have enjoyed reading the happenings of your days.
Speaking of reading here are the current books I have been reading:
Peacemaking for Families by Ken Sande
and
Curate of Glaston by George MacDonald
I am not sure why blogger doesn't allow me to underline. I must be missing something.
Have a blessed January.
I remember as a kid not really liking January. It fell after the Christmas excitement with little excitement of its own(with the exception of my mother's birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! MOM) It was always cold and a reminder that winter had so far to go before it would be over. It was the month to jump back into school.
It is funny to me that I carried the mindset of a child into my adulthood. We had such a relaxing and recharging break and I dreaded going back to the pace of life. I spent the first week back just reorganizing, cleaning, taking down the Christmas decorations and finding homes for the new gifts. I felt suffocated by all the "stuff." I got my feet under me and started home school in the second week of the month. Maddie was glad for the structure but it was a shaky start. We reviewed a lot of the material we went over just before Christmas. We have been going about life trying to restore the schedule of last term and getting into a groove.
Just today I was reflecting on January 1, 1997. It was the first day of the year but more importantly the first day of my new life in Christ. That January I headed back to college a new person, with a new hope and a new perspective on things. Armed with my new bible, I began to read the book of John and get to know the Savior. I write to remind myself that January is a month of new starts. So Lord, my prayer, "Restore unto me the joy of your salvation and grant in me a willing spirit to sustain me," Psalm 51:12 NIV. And even though so much has changed in the last 10 years "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" Hebrews 13:8 NIV.
I don't have to just face January.
I do have to get back to parenting though. Lily is on the floor taking it upon herself to get out of her PJ's and is having a frustrating time at it. Oh there, she succeeded and has handed me her PJs and has proceeded to walk over and get herself a fresh diaper and has just handed it to me. I am glad someone is in charge here.
So, I guess this post is nothing more than one to say that we are doing fine, and that I have enjoyed reading the happenings of your days.
Speaking of reading here are the current books I have been reading:
Peacemaking for Families by Ken Sande
and
Curate of Glaston by George MacDonald
I am not sure why blogger doesn't allow me to underline. I must be missing something.
Have a blessed January.

5 Comments:
Lilly can't really do all that, can she!? Glad she's keeping you in line! THank goodness, Bette's not officially on the home school docket...because I have lapsed like I never even started. Luckily, every once in a while she'll bring out her nature book and read it to her sister (remembering that Bats are nocturnal) and will count to 50 in the back seat of the car just for fun...whew..she's still learning! The other day we were listening to string instruments in the car and she says, "is the low, man-like music a cello?" I was floored. Evidently TV's not the worst thing either. HA! Happy January days!
THanks for stopping by my blog. I've put you as a favorite, so I'll be by more often now! It's great to hear all you're up to. Catching up after CHristmas always requires a deep breath, whether you're a child or adult!! This year there wasn't a lot of undecorating, since there was hardly anything "up!"
I miss you and I can't wait for 3 months to be up so you can be back here! I can't wait for you to help me in the homeschool area too :) I am LOVING learning from other, more experienced moms. What a great time in our lives! I can't wait to read the blog about Maddie's kitty :) Good for you! I have just found that my attitude is certainly what runs our house. I chose this morning (when we didn't have a car or anything) to make a good day and we had a blast....its amazing how that works, huh? :) Talk to you soon!
I actually LOVE the New Year's holiday and January in general. I normally feel that for at least for one month, I'm not running behind, whatever that means! The shorter days keep me home, doing things like this. I'm going to have 15 hours of daylight before long, and that sends my body clock out of whack!
Looking forward to seeing you guys next month!
Kim- How fun to see your comment!! We are so lonely for WSS friends here in Fort Worth. I am sure there are tons we just don't know about but it was great to hear from you!! Love the Christmas pics by the way!! I can't believe how big all your kids are! Say hello to everyone for us!! You can bet I will be checking in to see how things are going! Hope you will do the same!
Post a Comment
<< Home